It’s hard to believe that this infamous TED talk is already 11 years old… The reality is that it’s ultimately timeless!
I’ve personally watched it about 50 times but Sir Ken Robinson’s words ring more true than ever! The bottom line is that the world is changing at an awkward pace for human beings yet our education system still meanders along like it did 50 years ago with only linear improvement to speak of…
There is a really good reason this has become one of the most watched TED talks of all time! If you’ve watched it before, do yourself a favour and watch it again. And as importantly, make sure you share this video with someone who has never seen it before!
Some absolute highlights:
- “Creativity is as important in education as literacy…”
- “If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original…”
- “We don’t grow into creativity but we get educated out of it…”
- “Every education system on earth has the same hierarchy of subjects…”
- “Many highly talented, brilliant, creative people think they’re NOT because the thing they were good at, at school, wasn’t valued or was actually stigmatised…”
- “Suddenly, degrees aren’t worth anything because of a process of inflation of academics…”
- “We need to radically re-think our view of intelligence…”
- “Our education system has mined our minds in the way that we have strip-mined the earth for a particular commodity…”
One more thing… This video is the reason I started Suits & Sneakers. I just thought you should know!